I decided to talk again about mobile phones with Linux OS. On the market, there are Apple and Google, but nothing in between. That's why I think Linux on phones is a must.
I was very happy to meet many amazing people like Pavel Píša (who had a great talk about Librem 5 hardware internals), Pavel Machek, and many others.
The Linux phones at the conference included PinePhone with Fedora, Librem 5 with PureOS, OnePlus 6 with postmarketOS, OnePlus 6T with Mobian, and a few Ubuntu Touch phones.
Let's sum up my talk.
It's important to see how it went to the point where we are now. Since it's already a historical milestone, I also mentioned PINE64 PinePhone and Purism Librem 5.
- We had Symbian and Microsoft Windows Mobile (WM) payment model: together with device ecosystem: You can do whatever you want. Worked back then with less harmful software while users didn't have so much sensitive data on devices.
- Google Android payment model: pay as you use (with your data and personal information converted later to profit). ecosystem: you are severely limited in your ability to do what you (or your application) requires.
- Apple iOS payment model: together with device + Apple services ecosystem: restricted to what Apple wants. I call it a golden cage.
- Mobile Linux payment model: voluntary contribution of time or money. ecosystem: open, with the possibility to engage restricted (e.g., Flatpak) when needed (untrustworthy applications).
- PinePhone PRO (in EU with 2yrs warranty): 14 600 CZK
- Librem 5: 31 800 CZK + VAT and customs
- converted Android phones as OnePlus 6/6T, Xiaomi PocoPhone: 2500 – 4000 CZK
- FairPhone working on Linux support (no ETA available)
- iOS - it's not like you have an option
- Android - you can find few decent ROMs as GrapheneOS or CalyxOS, thou it's not perfect
- Linux - as usual, too many choices. first born: postmarketOS funded: PureOS → Debian → Mobian
Join today! Some devices, such as the Librem 5 or PinePhone, can be used for daily driving. Because it's the first generation, you have to expect that the Librem 5 will quickly deplete your battery. The PinePhone (1) is not the fastest one (GPU with a limitation to GLES 2 is a major annoyance).
- https://www.root.cz/clanky/linux-na-telefonech-radioamaterem-ve-21-stoleti-a-rust-na-esp32/#h20 [Czech language]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScGK7ltcvo [Czech language]